Complain about a school to Ofsted
You can use this service to raise complaints about a school as a whole.
If you are a whistleblower with a concern about a school, please contact the Department for Education (opens in new tab).
If you need help completing this form
Telephone: 0300 123 4666
Monday to Friday. 8am to 6pm
What we cannot help you with
We cannot resolve disagreements between you and a school or affect the results of a school's complaints process.
Ofsted can only accept complaints about state schools, academies and free schools (including residential schools). Find out how to complain about:
There are some types of complaint Ofsted can't investigate. Find out how to complain about:
- Admissions (opens in new tab)
- Exclusions (opens in new tab)
- Special educational needs (opens in new tab)
religious education or religious character of the school. Contact the school or the Department for Education (opens in new tab). You can complain to Ofsted if you're concerned about extremism in school
Before you complain to Ofsted
Before contacting us you should:
- Complain to the school first, for example, talk to a teacher about your problem.
- Make a formal complaint to the school. The school's complaints procedure will tell you how to do this.
- If you are not happy with how the school responded to your written complaint, follow the next steps in the school's complaints procedure. This may tell you to complain to the governing body or another organisation.
Every school must have a complaints procedure. You can usually find this on the school's website.
You should complete all steps in the school's complaints procedure before you contact Ofsted.
What we'll ask
We'll ask you to tell us:
- who you are and what your complaint is about
- how the school and anyone else you've contacted have responded to your complaint
- if any child or children are involved and how they have been affected
We'll ask for your contact details so that we can acknowledge your complaint. We'll tell you how we use your information.
What happens next
We’ll aim to review your complaint within 30 working days.
- discuss the complaint with the school at the next inspection
- refer your complaint to another organisation if they can act on what you tell us
This form will take approximately 20 minutes to complete